How To Joining a Google Meet video meeting
There are quite a few different ways that you can join a Google Meet video meeting. We will be reviewing the most popular options, including from inside Gmail, from Google Calendar, using a meeting link URL, and using a telephone. Follow the steps below based on how you wish to join a Google Meet video meeting.
- Step 1: Visit the Gmail website.
- Step 2: On the left side, click Join a Meeting.
- Step 3: Enter the meeting code or nickname you received.
- Step 4: Click the Join button.
One improvement Google has made to the Gmail process is creating a dedicated Meet tab on the Gmail app for mobile devices. If you’re on a mobile device, you can now navigate to the Meet section to check meet invites and join meetings without needing to open a new app or tab. This also makes it very easy to accept invitations.
From Google Calendar
- Step 1: Open your Google calendar.
- Step 2: Locate the event and click on it.
- Step 3: Select the Join with Google Meet option.
- Step 4: Click, Join Now.
From a meeting link (URL)
- Step 1: Locate the meeting link URL sent to you.
- Step 2: Click on the Google Meet URL.
- Step 3: Wait for approval to be admitted to the meeting if required.
From a telephone
- Step 1: Locate the phone number provided for your Google Meet.
- Step 2: Dial the phone number on your telephone.
- Step 3: When prompted, enter the PIN provided, tap the # button.
Settings to alter during a meeting
Google allows you to alter certain settings during a Google Meet video call, such as the layout, provided captions, and control over your microphone and camera. These are the most common actions.
Change meeting view
- Step 1: While on a PC or Mac, click the More button (three vertical dots), then click Change Layout.
- Step 2: Here you can select from a collection of views — automatic, tiled, spotlight, and sidebar.
- Step 3: Once you choose a layout, it will be saved for the next time you use Meet.
Viewing closed captions
On a PC, Mac, Android, or iOS device, click the [CC] captions button to turn on or off English captions; this button may be hidden under the More button (three vertical dots) section.
Present high-quality video
Meet can also show high-quality video with included audio content during a meeting. This includes YouTube videos, GIFs, animations, and other media you may need to use as guides, examples, or tutorials. However, it only works via Chrome, so you’ll need to be using the Chrome browser when trying this.
- Step 1: To begin, while in a meeting, select the Present now button and choose the Chrome tab from the list of options.
- Step 2: Meet will then display the open Chrome tabs you have to choose from. It’s a good idea to have a Chrome tab prepared with your video or other media beforehand for this moment. Select the right tab, make sure the Share audio option is enabled, and select Share.
- Step 3: You can now play the video in the tab and everyone will be able to see and hear it.
Send a chat message
- Step 1: On a PC, Mac, Android, or iOS device, click the Chat button (sometimes shown as a tiny text bubble).
- Step 2: Enter the message you wish to send to the room, and click the Send button (shown as a small paper airplane).
Present your screen
- Step 1: On a PC, Mac, Android, or iOS device, click the More button (three vertical dots), then click the Present Screen option and click Start Broadcast to begin.
- Step 2: To stop presenting, return to Google Meet, and click Stop Broadcast.
Record a meeting
- Step 1: On a PC or Mac, click the More button (three vertical dots), then click Record Meeting.
- Step 2: To stop, repeat the steps, and click Stop Recording.
- Step 3: Note that participants will be notified when anyone begins recording the meeting. Additionally, the video recording will be saved to your Google Drive for later retrieval.
Turn noise cancellation on
- Step 1: Meet can use A.I. to filter out sounds that aren’t voices. You can turn this feature on by selecting the three-dot Settings menu, choosing Audio, and enabling Noise cancellation.
- Step 2: This should not affect any other voices, including radio voices and people in the same room.
Stop your webcam or mute your microphone
- Step 1: On a PC, Mac, Android, or iOS device, click the round microphone button to mute or unmute your microphone.
- Step 2: Similarly, click the round camera icon (shown as a box with a triangle on the right side) to turn on or turn off your webcam.